[Mailman-Users] Throttling output

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jun 15 04:59:55 CEST 2006

At 8:59 PM -0400 2006-06-14, campbell at cnpapers.com wrote:

>                                                 I also say an SMTPPORT
>  config there, but wasn't sure if these could be overridden by site/list
>  mm_cfg.py files.

	The definition of SMTPPORT and SMTPHOST are for the entire
server, and cannot be over-ridden on a per-list basis.

>>  	You then configure Mailman to deliver all outgoing mail to this
>>  second copy of sendmail.
>>
>  I'm assuming you mean separate sendmail.cf files here when you say 'copy'.

	There are separate sendmail.cf files, yes.  But since there is
just one sendmail binary, you end up running two instances of
sendmail -- one for each different version of the sendmail.cf file.

	I used the term "second copy of sendmail", when it might have
been more accurate to say "second instance of sendmail".  The meaning
is the same, or at least that was the intent.

>>  	The milter technique would be a much more direct method of
>>  control over throttling.
>
>  OK, I guess I need to sit down and try out these both. I'm going to set up a
>  test box tomorrow, and see how both works. Of course, I can't simulate the
>  load it should generate, but for now, I just want to make sure I can do it,
>  period.

	That's a very good idea.  Make sure you understand how things
work before you try to use them in earnest.

>>  >>  It's an issue that should be easy enough to fix through modifying
>>  >>  the configuration file.
>
>  Easy for you to say. I have read the Bat Book 2e scantilly, but you know
>  how it is if you don't need something right away - you usually forget it.

	I was technical reviewer for that book, and I can tell you that
Bryan Costales and Eric Allman both keep copies on their desks
because even they can't remember everything.  You shouldn't chastise
yourself for failing to be able to do what they can't do themselves.

>  The test box will be running 8.13, which is new here, so a few new options.

	Yup.

>>  >  I hope you mean sendmail configuration file!!!
>>
>>  	Yes.
>
>  I sure didn't get much right on the last post, huh?

	Close enough.  ;)

>  Thanks very much. You are much too kind and patient.

	I do my best.  Sometimes I do better than others.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755