[Mailman-Users] Throttling output

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jun 13 17:18:45 CEST 2006

At 3:17 PM +0200 2006-06-13, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

>  On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 09:06 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
>  [...]
>>  Does anyone have a suggestion for throttling?
>
>  Just store the 22.000 outgoing mails in the mail queue (every decent MTA
>  should be able to do that unconditionally) and wait for the next queue
>  run?

	I think that this would require a second MTA instance -- the
first instance of sendmail (or whatever MTA) would simply take
everything that Mailman gives it and then store that in the queue.
This would be different from a normal sendmail (or other MTA)
configuration, where immediate delivery would normally be attempted.

	Then, additional queue runners are called to start processing
that queue and pushing those messages out, but they go through an
additional instance of sendmail, where the throttling milter is used.

	You would also need to make sure that the first instance of
sendmail (or whatever MTA) is not configured to generate Delivery
Status Notices (DSNs) for delayed messages, because you know for a
fact that some messages are going to be delayed for a significant
period of time, and you don't want those kinds of warnings clouding
the picture for Mailman.

	And I'm sure there are other factors or issues to be considered,
although I haven't thought of any others off the top of my head.

	This is a complex problem, which is why Mailman has not attempted
to deal with this issue in the past.  If you're running a large list,
I still firmly believe that you should be hosting that list at a
provider where you are not required to do any throttling.

	If you do have to do throttling, then you're hosting your list at
the wrong place.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755