[Mailman-Users] Throttling output

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 16:44:26 CEST 2006

On 6/13/06, Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com> wrote:
> But what will Mailman do when I send to 20,000 and the milter starts
> temp-failing after the limit is reached? Does it see these as bounces? Will
> it insert the pending emails into the sendmail queue or fail?

Assuming your MTA returns a failure code indicating a temporary
failure (a 400-series error? someone correct me if I'm wrong...),
mailman should drop the message into the 'retry' queue and try again
some time (fifteen minutes?) later. Realize, of course, that unless
your MTA is limiting by number of recipients, each mailman 'mail' may
include several hundred recipients (unless you've turned on
personalization. Which, for a 20,000 member list, probably isn't a
very good idea).

--
- Patrick Bogen