[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Sendmail debugging questions

Daniel, Barry K. danielbk at ornl.gov
Sat Jun 10 04:56:02 CEST 2006

I've got the basic mailing list functionality working now!!!  I have been silly enough to look over a typo in my mm_cfg.py file for a couple of days now (SMTP_HOST, not SMPT_HOST).  I still need to turn mm-handler back on but I do not think that will be too hard.  Here is a description of how I have it set up if anyone is interested.

NOTE:  One thing to remember is that all mail is sent to domain.gov while all servers actually belong to domainpriv.gov.

We have Sun Messenger installed on ServerA.  It is the MTA between our inside domain and the outside world.  Mail comes in from the world to ServerA and is sent to ServerB to be virus scanned.  The scanned message is sent back to ServerA.  If it is a user address, the message is stored on ServerC (the mail store).  If it is a mailing list address, the message is forwarded to ServerD.  ServerD uses Mailman and has Sendmail as its local MTA.  I configured the Sendmail mailertable to accept all domain.gov mail and route it to local for now (uses aliases in /etc/aliases file), but should change it to mailman:localhost when I turn mm-handler back on.  Thus, the mail is accepted at ServerD and sent to Mailman.  Mailman then sends the message to all list members via the MTA on ServerA, not the local Sendmail MTA (SMTP_HOST='ServerA').  Thus, all users get their mailing list message.

Thanks for all of the help!!!!  It all makes sense now, but it certainly didn't just a few days ago.

I'll check back in when I try to tweak the Mailman install.