[Mailman-Users] Problems with To Header

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Jun 10 02:17:26 CEST 2006

At 6:48 PM -0500 2006-06-09, Joseph Perrie wrote:

>           However, I still couldn't see why Sendmail would force the
>  To-header back to the canonical name when Mailman was setting it correctly.
>  Eventually, I happened across this email (
>  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/1998-August/004971.html)
>   on the dev list that solved the problem by manually editting sendmail.cf's
>  rulesets to bypass canonicalization. I'm sure this violates some RFC.

	Yup.  The problem is, your server isn't the only one to perform
canonicalization.  All other servers your machine talks to should do
the same, which means that anything you do to eliminate
canonicalization on your own machine should have absolutely no
positive impact whatsoever.  You may think it does, but in fact
everyone else will turn around and do to you exactly what your own
server was doing.

>  It's absolutely wrong to do this because if you edit sendmail.mc, and
>  restart sendmail, the cf file gets regenerated automatically which
>  obliterates the change. Is there a better way to fix this without violating
>  RFCs and changing sendmail rulesets? Note: I don't have access to the DNS
>  server.

	I'm sorry, the only way to really fix this problem is to fix the
DNS.  Even if you have complete and total control over your own
machine, you're still hosed by every other machine on the Internet.

	You have to get the DNS fixed.  That's the *only* solution.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755