[Mailman-Users] Mailman Delivery Issue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 9 01:40:03 CEST 2006

Lee Haynes wrote:

>When an email is posted to a list or Mailman generates an email, the message
>is never delivered, and I receive an error in smtp-failure:
>
>Low level smtp error: (60, 'Operation timed out'), msgid:
><mailman.2.1149803348.35306.all-to at lists.domain.org>
>
>No information is logged by sendmail to maillog.

You probably are not able to connect to your SMTP server on SMTPPORT at
SMTPHOST. The default settings are:

SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
SMTPPORT = 0

0 for SMTPPORT means use the SMTP port = port 25. So if you haven't
changed these in mm_cfg.py, you are trying to connect to port 25 on
'localhost' and your SMTP server isn't answering.

If you've changed these, they're not correct. If you haven't, you
either have to tell your MTA to listen on localhost, port 25 of change
them to an address and port where the MTA is listening.