[Mailman-Users] cronjobs (/bin/sh: mailman: command not found)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 8 19:25:17 CEST 2006

wolfgang pauli wrote:

>I had problems getting the cronjobs to work until I found something that looks like an error in the docs to me.
>It says do "% crontab -u mailman crontab.in" to set up your cronjobs. But the crontab.in file includes cron commands like:
>0 8 * * * mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/checkdbs
>
>So it results in the error msg (email):
>Subject: [Mailman Site List] Cron <mailman at grey> mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news
>Body: /bin/sh: mailman: command not found
>
>I fixed that my removing "mailman" from all commands in crontab.in. E.g.:
>0 8 * * * /usr/lib/mailman/cron/checkdbs

You are dealing with someone's package and your issue is with the
packager, not with Mailman's documentation.

The standard GNU Mailman distribution crontab.in is intended to be
installed as you describe which puts it in /var/spool/cron/mailman and
it does NOT contain the extra 'mailman user' field because it is
always run as the user that installed it.

The crontab.in you have with the mailman user field is intended by the
packager who created it to be installed in /etc/cron.d/ as perhaps
/etc/cron.d/mailman. In this location it needs the user field to
specify the user to run as.