[Mailman-Users] How to unhide 20 000, or so, e-mails in one go

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 8 05:19:26 CEST 2006

Muhammad Al-Massari

>How to unhide 20 000, or so, e-mails in one go. Doing it one by one is a real NIGHTMARE!!!
>
>(I have two other big lists too ... to be modified also!)

Patrick has already replied that you can do this with bin/withlist if
you have shell access to your Mailman installation, but I suspect you
don't or you'd be using bin/list_members in the first place, and this
wouldn't be an issue.

Assuming you don't have shell access, I'd use the
mailman-subscribers.py script referred to in the FAQ I mentioned
before -
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.062.htp>
- to obtain a .csv repersentation of the admin Membership list pages
and then import that into a spreadsheet and make a list of those
member addresses that are 'hidden'. Then I'd go to
<http://starship.python.net/crew/jwt/mailman/#throughtheweb> (also
mentioned in the FAQ) and get Jim Tittsler's unhide.py script and run
it with the appropriate modifications to the URL and list password and
the hidden member list as input.

Both these scripts will be slow for a 20,000 member list because of the
sheer volume of http transactions involved, but if you don't have
direct shell access to the Mailman installation, it beats doing it by
hand.