[Mailman-Users] misgation advice

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jun 6 03:29:15 CEST 2006

Ben Edwards (Lists) wrote:

>We have a new server running plesk/mailman 2.1.5.  We need to move from
>a old server with mailman 2.1.2.  What is the best way to do this, the
>URL/domains are changing and we want to move the archive.

Move lists/* except for lists/mailman and run fix_url on each list. If
you don't have virtual hosts requiring different fix_url options for
different lists, you can just run

bin/withlist -a -l -r fix_url

Run bin/fix_url.py for details of fix_url. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp>.

Archives can be done in a couple of ways. You can move the entire
archives/ directory except for archives/private/mailman/ and
archives/private/mailman.mbox/, but that will leave some absolute URLs
in the archive with the wrong host name. To avoid this, you can mobe
just the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox files for each
list and then run bin/arch --wipe on each list to recreate the HTML
archives. This won't create the public archive symlinks, but those get
redone on the fly anyway every time the list is changed in any way
(web config, post, etc.).

There is a FAQ at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.004.htp>
but it is sorely in need of updating.