[Mailman-Users] VERP active where it shouldn't

Marc SCHAEFER schaefer at alphanet.ch
Fri Jun 2 08:51:14 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 09:56:06PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >   gull-annonces-bounces+4ae5d0b7d6547f114afac76d551c9dfbbc3f212e at lists.alphanet.ch
>
> That's a VERP probe.

ok.

> >   - is there a `mailman_display_config' command which would return the
> >     *actually used* mailman configuration (maybe I am looking at the
> >     wrong config file or Defaults.py file) ?
>

> No.

Could be handy :)

> mm_cfg.py should be in the same directory as Defaults.py unless this is
> a Debian thing.

schaefer at shakotay:~$ ls -la /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/{mm_cfg.py,Defaults.py}
-rw-r--r--  1 root list 54457 Mar 29 21:58 /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    22 May  3 09:19 /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py -> /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py

they are, but the local admin configurable part is really stored in
/etc/mailman, as per standard policy. Modifying stuff in the system is
not really Debian's cup of tea, which has its reasons.

> You seem to have edited out quite a bit of the grep result :-)

yep.

> Your choices are:

I will simply configure the probes to use the `=' character, which is
the equivalent of `+' here.  As long as the probes are sent in this
hexadecimal format (and not in the user=host.ch format) it should work.

Am I right that the probes are always sent in the hexadecimal format,
and thus that the variables to set in mm_cfg.py are:

   VERP_PROBE_FORMAT = '%(bounces)s=%(token)s'
   VERP_PROBE_REGEXP = r'^(?P<bounces>[^+]+?)\=(?P<token>[^@]+)@.*$'

I shall assume that for everything else as probes, the bug doesn't exist
and no probes will be sent as long as the config is set to 0 or No.

If you confirm the above, I will report this as a Debian bug, so that
the maintainer knows about this and less people complain for this issue.

Thank you for your useful help, indeed!