[Mailman-Users] Can't run mm_cfg.py

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 19:47:14 CEST 2006

John W. Baxter wrote:
> On 6/1/06 9:30 AM, "Carl Fink" <carl at finknetwork.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 11:18:04AM -0500, Brad Knowles wrote:
>>
>>> When the configuration is done in the Python language in a Python
>>> script, you can let Python do all the parsing, and do the equivalent
>>> of "#include" in order to pull in all your configuration details.
>> Fair enough.
>
> A downside is that there is no "proper" place for Defaults.py and mm_cfg.py
>
> They are configuration, so they go into /etc somewhere.  They are
> executable, so they DON'T go into /etc.  Not a problem with the stock
> Mailman layout, but it does cause problems for one trying to match the file
> system standard (such as the Red Hat packaging of Mailman, which shotguns
> Mailman into several different places--and is well done).

I have custom Mailman installs (from source releases) on my systems.
The way that I solve this problem, of desiring all configuration files
to exist in /etc, is to hardlink /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
(and a few others) to a directory I created (/etc/mailman) on each
system.  I do the same for MoinMoin (a Python wiki).  This way I can
periodically backup etc and not have to worry about a large bloated
backup of easily re-installed applications.

-Jim P.