[Mailman-Users] Help with abusive user...

Raquel Rice raquel at thericehouse.net
Mon Jul 31 19:54:35 CEST 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:35:41 -0400
Tom Ray <tom at detroitonline.com> wrote:

> Trent Fisher wrote:
> > I have a big problem, and I am hoping someone here has some
> > advice... I have a person on my mailing list who has been very
> > abusive, but has recently taken a turn to the creepy (I would
> > call it cyberstalking), and so I have been trying to eject him
> > from the list.

<snip>

<snip>

> No matter what you need to contact his ISP and get them to do
> something  and you need to not be nice about it. ISPs won't take
> the risk of legal  action being brought against them and will
> generally remove the customer  from their services.
>
> Let me know what happens.

I've been in a similar situation.  I'd certainly follow the advice
of Tom.  In the meantime I'd put the list on full moderation.  If
it's a large list with lots of traffic, enlist the help of some
trustworthy members who can help moderate.  Arrange with those
people on the QT, then send an email to members explaining the
situation (without details), then set to full moderation and deal
with the problem child.  Once it's all been dealt with, remove
moderation and thank everyone for their cooperation.

Whatever you do may cause some people to leave your list.  But, it's
a much better alternative than to allow this person to totally
destroy what you've worked so hard to create ... a community of
like-minded people.

--
Raquel
When you're finally up on the moon, looking back at the earth, all