[Mailman-Users] Blocking a User

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jul 29 07:17:27 CEST 2006

Dragon wrote:

>David Andrews sent the message below at 12:25 7/28/2006:
>>
>>I know it is possible to ban a user from all the lists in my Mailman
>>installation at once.  I know I can ban him from an individual list,
>>however, I have almost 100 lists, and when I ban him from one, he
>>just moves to another.  Is there a way to ban him once and for all?
>---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
>I think you contradicted yourself there unless you are asking how to
>ban an address (which is all you can do) from all of the lists at once.
>
>I know the answer is you can and you have to use a bin/withlist
>script to do it but I don't know enough to actually right the script for you.

There are a couple of ways to do this. The withlist method for exactly
this is described at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-July/052121.html>.

The other method is to run bin/config_list with appropriate input ofer
all lists via a shell script such as

#!/bin/sh
for list in `bin/list_lists --bare`
do bin/config_list -i input_file $list
done

where input_file contains

mlist.ban_list.append('address_to_ban at example.com')

See 'bin/config_list --help' and 'bin/list_lists --help'.