[Mailman-Users] Contemplating new installation

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 27 05:17:11 CEST 2006

At 10:22 PM -0400 2006-07-26, Todd Zullinger wrote:

>>  They've done whatever they've done and didn't ask for any
>>  involvement from us.
>
>  That doesn't seem entirely fair to the Red Hat/Fedora folks.  John
>  Dennis of Red Hat very clearly solicited comment on these changes on
>  mailman-developers back in Oct 2004 and submitted a patch as well[1].

I don't recall anyone ever contacting us regarding how we would like
to see Mailman get packaged together, but clearly I have at least
missed his message if nothing else.  I will also state that John is
one of the more active participants on our lists, and we appreciate
his involvement in the community.

That said, they have certain goals towards their packaged
installation of Mailman (such as making it FHS compliant), and that
leads to their making a fairly substantial number of changes to the
system.  And that's probably not really avoidable, but it does mean
that supporting the Red Hat packaged version of Mailman can be
somewhat different than supporting a source-installed version, if for
no other reason than the files are stored in different places.

As far as things go, the official Red Hat package is probably as
close to the source-installed version as they could reasonably manage
under the circumstances, and would probably be a good guide for other
vendors to follow -- assuming they have similar goals.

If we had the same level of involvement in our community from other
vendors as we get from John and the Red Hat folks, I think we'd be
much happier campers.

Thanks for the correction, and giving me the opportunity to clarify my views.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.