[Mailman-Users] Best practices

Christopher Adams adamsca at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 20:51:03 CEST 2006

Mostly, I agree with Mark on this. You really have to balance what
individual list owners want, how individual lists operate, and the fact that
you may host/administer so many lists that the best choice is the same for
all.

We host over 500 lists. Originally, the default was to 'Hold' messages from
non-members. This might include subscribers who's address had changed or
individuals who thought they were on the list. This is where we needed to
reevaluate the situation. Many list owners are busy and don't want to
continually take action on posts from non-members. However, many list owners
also don't want messages from 'non-members' to be automatically discarded.

Our solution was to make the default to 'Reject', but send a message to the
sender, indicating that their message was rejected because either they are
not a member or their address has changed. One problem with this solution is
that the option for multiple languages becomes a bit of  an issue.