[Mailman-Users] rejecting spam disables local subscribers on remote lists

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 20 02:09:14 CEST 2006

At 1:53 PM -0400 2006-07-19, James Ralston wrote:

>  Another possibility would be to allow our recipients to opt out of the
>  spam rejecting.  But this is a last-ditch option.

I'm in the process of writing an anti-spam article to be published on
the LOPSA.org website.

Suffice it to say that, if you are a "service provider" of some sort
to multiple customers, it is your responsibility to provide a way to
either opt out of the anti-spam processing that you typically
perform, or to give your users a way to customize those rules to suit
their particular needs.

If you're not willing or able to do that, then you're not doing your
job -- plain and simple.  In that circumstance, your customers should
vote with their feet.  Their failure to vote with their feet does not
absolve you of the responsibility to provide these features to them.

And yes, I include myself and my responsibilities as a member of the
mail services/postmaster team at python.org in this list.

So far, we've gotten lucky and we've had to make relatively few
customizations to the rules for specific users.  But I don't know how
much longer that's going to last.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.