[Mailman-Users] Moderating and unmoderating for Newsletters

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 16:53:23 CEST 2006

On 7/15/06, Oliver Gassner <fraktal at gmx.de> wrote:
> I have a mailman version 2.1.5 I want to run as a Newsletter thing (I
> have several discusson lists, too).
You should 'probably' upgrade to 2.1.8.

> * aggregate Mails Daily (as they are delivered by rss2mail)
digests

> * generally disallow members of the list to post there
Privacy Options > Sender Filters > default_member_moderation to Yes
and member_moderation_action to whatever you want (Hold if you still
want to see their attempts, Reject if you want them to know it failed,
Discard if you want to silently drop the messages. I believe Reject is
the Correct answer, in this case.)

Note that you'll have to go in and manually set all members to be
moderated. You can do this at the command line somehow, I'm sure, but
I don't know how. If you have a bunch of members, someone here will
probably post the way to do it at command-line.

> * generally allow the rss-mail-source to post w/o me having to wave
> through the posts manually
Same screen as above, add sender address to accept_these_nonmembers

Alternatively, if you can coerce rss-mail-source ot include an
too. This is a better solution, because it can't be 'spoofed'. (I.e.,
in theory, anyone can send an email and claim it came from whatever
rss-mail-source comes from.)

> * (I think) the rss-mail-source can/should not be a member of the list
> as it is an outside service
That's fine; see above.

> (I think) I set the rss-source to 'non meers who are allowed to post to
> the list' but the system requires me to moderate.
Is emergency moderation turned on? What, exactly, did you put in
accept_these_nonmembers? (If that is, in fact, what you set...) What
email address is rss-mail-source coming from?

--
- Patrick Bogen