[Mailman-Users] To: is being rewritten by some mail agents

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Jul 13 04:28:28 CEST 2006

At 3:00 PM -0700 2006-07-12, Scott Chapman wrote:

>  I packet-sniffed the email going to one of these servers that
>rewrites the To:
>  line and find that it's using Sendmail.  I also confirmed that the To: line
>  _is_ going out correctly.  I have an account on one of these
>offending servers > and I see it as www.mischko.com on that account
>also.

The receiving server is doing address canonicalization, as required
by the RFCs.  The fact that your server is not doing the address
canonicalization is a serious bug, and should be fixed.

>  Any thing I can do to fix this?

The real solution is not to use CNAMEs at all in your DNS, but
instead to have the hostnames resolve directly into the appropriate
IP addresses, and to make sure that the reverse DNS for that IP
address includes all the appropriate hostnames.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.