[Mailman-Users] moving mailman

mardin at comcast.net mardin at comcast.net
Tue Jul 11 01:15:18 CEST 2006

Hi,

The Mailman 2.1.5 was running well. We wanted to move it to another computer with more powerfull hardware. We installed the same Linux system on the new computer.

Then we moved all Mailman related data from the original computer to the new computer:
/usr/local/mailman
/home/mailman
/etc/passwd
/etc/group
/etc/httpd
/etc/init.d/mailman
/etc/mail
/etc/aliases

We powered off the original computer and renamed the new computer with the original hostname and IP address. After that we restarted mailman on the new computer and got the master qrunner lock errors::
# su - mailman
$ cd /usr/local/mailman
$ bin/mailmanctl start
The master qrunner lock could not be acquired. It appears as though there is a stale master qrunner lock. Try re-running mailmanctl with the -s flag.

We re-run mailmanctl with the -s flag without errors:
$ bin/mailmanctl -s start

then restart mailman again:
$ bin/mailmanctl -s -q start

The maiman daeman were up but both mailman and http://hostname/mailman/admin/ didn't work. Does anyone know how to resolve it?

questions: Is the above moving method correct or not? Did we forget something else? Is there a better way to move mailman without re-compile it to another same hostname, IP address, and same OS system machine?

Thanks for your help!
Mardin