[Mailman-Users] Why are footers sent as attachments?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jan 30 01:43:22 CET 2006

At 2:24 PM -0500 2006-01-29, Jp Possenti wrote:

>  Why is it that when I set Mailman to apply a footer with some info, Outlook
>  detects it as an attachment?
>  Is this yet another problem with just outlook?

	Outlook and certain other MUAs, yes.

>  Also does the footer in mailman support HTML?

	Nope.

>  I want to make it so at the bottom of every email I can include a reply to
>  address for them to unsubscribe.

	Like we do for this mailing list?

>  This sort of leads me to my next question.
>
>  To have a user unsubscribe without seeing the web interface and just by
>  email, which would be the right command?
>
>  Listname-leave at domain.com

	More like the header we put on every message that passes through this list:

>  Or are there more?
>  Also does anything need to be written in the subject line? If not, what if
>  someone writes something or writes something that is not right, will it
>  still unsubscribe them?
>
>  I would like to state that if they want to be removed, to please "click
>  here" to send an email to unsubscribe.

	You can't write your own HTML there, so no "click here" type
language is going to work.  You can do the same sorts of things that
you see in the messages which pass through this list, however -- try
taking a closer look at the copies you receive.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755