[Mailman-Users] troubles with multiple installations on the samemachine

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jan 27 23:20:30 CET 2006

Davide Galletti wrote:

>I am having troubles installing more than one instance on the same LINUX
>FEDORA CORE 2 box.
>The need arises from having to manage lists for more than one domain
>(e.g. abitipuliti.org liste.cnms.it  swazitalia.org ...)
>I understand that installing multiple instances is the best choiche ...
>am I right?
>(FAQ: "Multiple installations on the same machine can be used to avoid
>the list naming restrictions"
>http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.047.htp
>I accurately ( I hope ) followed the instructions on:
>    http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/index.html

Multiple instances may be the best choice if you want to be able to
have the same list name on more than one host. It you can live with
the restriction that all list names must be unique regardless of host,
then Mailman virtual hosts may be a better solution.

>The 1st instance for abitipuliti.org works just fine
>On the 2nd and 3rd for liste.cnms.it and swazitalia.org I get some
>PROBLEMS:
>
>When I fill in the form on
> - http://liste.cnms.it/mailman/create    (2nd)
>and on
> - http://swazitalia.org/mailman/create (3rd)
>I get
>

>      *Error: /Unknown virtual host: liste.cnms.it/*
>
>*Error: /Unknown virtual host: swazitalia.org/*
>On both forms it will accept as "List creator's (authentication)
>password"  the password of the 1st instance!!

This is probably because all hosts are using the instance you intend to
be for abitipuliti.org, and none are using the others.

>Also some URLs point erroneusly from 2nd or 3nd web interface to 1st domain.

A consequence of the above.

>If I create the list from the command line I get the  notification of
>the new list but  when  click to the URL
>http://swazitalia.org/mailman/admin/test
>I get:  No such list /test/

This is probably because you created the list in the
/data/mailmanswazitalia instance, but the web interface is looking
only at the /var/mailman instance.

See remarks following:

>CONFIGURATION:
> $prefix = /var/mailman
>
> Apache httpd.conf
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  ServerName abitipuliti.org
>  ProxyVia on
>  ScriptAlias /mailman/* /var/mailman/cgi-bin/*
>  Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
> </VirtualHost>

> $prefix = /data/mailman
>
> ./configure --prefix=/data/mailman --with-cgi-gid=apache
>--with-mailhost=liste.cnms.it --with-urlhost=liste.cnms.it
>
> Apache httpd.conf
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  ServerName liste.cnms.it
>  ProxyVia on
>  ScriptAlias /mailman/* /data/mailman/cgi-bin/*
>  Alias /pipermail/ /data/mailman/archives/public/
> </VirtualHost>

> $prefix = /data/mailmanswazitalia
>
> ./configure --prefix=/data/mailmanswazitalia --with-cgi-gid=apache
>--with-mailhost=swazitalia.org --with-urlhost=swazitalia.org
>
> Apache httpd.conf
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  DocumentRoot /data/www/swazitalia
>  ServerName swazitalia.org
>  ProxyVia on
>  ScriptAlias /mailman/* /data/mailmanswazitalia/cgi-bin/*
>  Alias /pipermail/ /data/mailmanswazitalia/archives/public/
> </VirtualHost>
>

>Any hint?

Since your virtual hosts seem to use the same IP address (at least the
ones I could look up), you need NameVirtualHost directives. See
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/vhosts/name-based.html> or
<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/name-based.html> as
appropriate.