[Mailman-Users] notification system

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Jan 22 03:47:14 CET 2006

At 9:18 PM -0500 2006-01-21, Matt Gostick wrote:

>  I have installed Mailman in hopes of using it as a type of 'notification'
>  system.  For example, a user subscribes to the list, and after subscribing
>  I can send him/her an email notifiying them an event that happens on my
>  website.

	Send a notice to that list, and all recipients will receive a
copy.  But you don't have a list per recipient.  If you did, then why
would you bother with a mailing list system -- why not just send a
message directly to each of those users?

>            The event would be unique for this user and should only be sent
>  to him/her.

	That's not going to work.

>               Is mailman the appropriate program for me?  If not, can
>  anyone suggest another standard program that would do the job?

	If every user has a unique event that only they care about, you
will probably need to build your own system -- just have a database
of users and what events they're interested in, and then send out
e-mail messages every time one of those events happen.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755