[Mailman-Users] Messages shunted and kept out of archives

John Swartzentruber nospam2 at mcswartz.org
Mon Jan 16 03:23:54 CET 2006

I recently upgraded to Mailman 2.1.7. A user (and co-moderator) on one
of the lists that I run reported that some of his messages were missing
from the archives and that one of them had been delivered to him without
  the normal Mailman footers and subject modification.

I looked into it today and saw that there were three messages in the
shunt directory. At least one of these was the primary message that we
had discovered was missing from the archives.

I tried bin/unshunt, but it had no affect. The information from the
error log is as follows:

Jan 15 19:39:13 2006 (7863) Uncaught runner exception: 'ascii' codec
can't decode byte 0xe4 in position 5749: ordinal not in range(128)
Jan 15 19:39:13 2006 (7863) Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 111, in _oneloop
     self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 167, in _onefile
     keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/ArchRunner.py", line 73, in
_dispose
     mlist.ArchiveMail(msg)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/Archiver.py", line 216, in
ArchiveMail
     h.processUnixMailbox(f)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 585, in
processUnixMailbox
     self.add_article(a)
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 626, in
add_article
     filename))
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 1116,
in write_article
     f.write(article.as_text())
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 579, in
as_text
     '\g<1>' + _(' at ') + '\g<2>', body)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/sre.py", line 143, in sub
     return _compile(pattern, 0).sub(repl, string, count)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe4 in position
5749: ordinal not in range(128)

Jan 15 19:39:13 2006 (7863) SHUNTING:
1137283434.787801+8fcbe00f31f4008afd66221d0d9397ade1228077

Because this is a new problem, I decided to try downgrading back to
2.1.6 (by running "make install" in the 2.1.6 source directory). After I
did this and ran bin/unshunt, the shunt directory was empty.
Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and I didn't look to see whether it was the
downgrade or the unshunt that emptied the directory. I also then ran
bin/arch to rebuild the archives, and the previously missing message now
shows up.

So it is possible that there is a problem introduced in 2.1.7, or it is
possible that I still have the problem, but have worked around it. In
case it is the former, I'm reporting it here. It seems like this might
be similar to the "Shunting msgs." thread from a couple weeks ago, but
that person was running 2.1.6.

I'll be happy to attempt to provide additional information if I can.
This is just a personal server that I also use to host two or three
small mailing lists.