[Mailman-Users] can't find smrsh wrapper in sendmail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 15 16:21:18 CET 2006

Myo Zaw Nyunt wrote:

>Thanks for your reply. But after I read this article at
>http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-June/037514.html, I do not
>understand very well about this section. I can't find /etc/sudoers fiels in my
>FreeBSD.

You probably have to create it. See 'man sudo'. BUT, you don't have to
follow the procedure in the above post. It is for automating Mailman
alias creation with sendmail.

I suggest you just create aliases manually until you get sendmail
properly delivering to your list(s). Then you can go back and do the
procedure outlined in the above post if you wish.

I.e., start with MTA='Manual' and manually add aliases for the
'mailman' list and your test list to /etc/aliases. Then, only after
everything is working, consider doing the above. If you are not going
to be adding and/or deleting lists frequently, you can probably just
stay with a manual process for aliases.

>And I still get userunkonw as bounced back mail.
>
>I created for mailman aliases file like this : for example I created list named
>"test" and members in this list are test1 at server.com and test2 at server.com
>
>So, I created as:
>
>test       test1 test2
>
>Is that right?

No. That would not use Mailman at all. You want sendmail to deliver
mail to 'test' to Mailman, and Mailman resends to 'test1 and test2'.
If sendmail is rerouting mail to 'test' to 'test1 and test2', you
aren't using Mailman at all.

See my prior response that you quote below for the form of these aliases
You need the folowing aliases for the 'mailman' site list which you
must have (quoted from my prior post).

>> Here is a typical set for the site list named 'mailman'
>>
>> ## mailman mailing list
>> mailman:            "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
>> mailman-admin:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
>> mailman-bounces:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
>> mailman-confirm:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
>> mailman-join:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
>> mailman-leave:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
>> mailman-owner:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
>> mailman-request:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
>> mailman-subscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
>> mailman-unsubscribe:"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

You also need a set for your 'test' list as follows, and similarly for
each additional list you create.

## test mailing list
test:            "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
test-admin:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin test"
test-bounces:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test"
test-confirm:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test"
test-join:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join test"
test-leave:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave test"
test-owner:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner test"
test-request:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request test"
test-subscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test"
test-unsubscribe:"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe test"

Also note from my prior post -