[Mailman-Users] Does Mailman do the following? Not sure if this iswhat I need.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jan 13 19:40:23 CET 2006

Jp Possenti wrote:

>I was wondering if Mailman would do the following:
>Allow me to create an html flyer or text flyer, and send it out to one
>address for example: newsletter at domain.com , and that address include the
>2,500 e-mails, so that basically the users who receive them do not see the
>other user's emails, and also have the recipient be newsletter at domain.com .
>Basically send an email from newsletter at domain.com to newsletter at domain.com
>and in there include the html site or text.

Yes, it will.

>Now the second part of this question is, can mailman work without the need
>to show the customers the mailman interface site? I would just like to
>perhaps use mailman myself (the admin), and send it to them and if they ever
>want to unsubscribe, just to reply to an email for example
>unsubscribe at domain.com with maybe the word unsubscribe in the subject line?

Yes to this too.

>So is there a way to add my 2,500 clients, send the masked emails so they
>don't see other client's emails, send html, hide the mailman interface so
>they don't get confused, and if they ever want to unsubscribe just send a
>reply email with the subject unsubscribe or to a specific email?
>In short, a lot of the question is if mailman web interface can be skipped
>completely.

You can do all this. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp>
for more information on how you might set this up.

>So is Mailman the appropriate program for what I am looking for? If not can
>anyone recommend something that is?

Maybe, Maybe not. Mailman will do what you've outlined above, but it
won't go much if any beyond that. If you later decide that you want to
customize the text of your messages or select recipients based on
customer profiles, or any of a number of other things along these
lines, you will need something more oriented toward 'customer
relations management'. So if you don't see your requirements
expanding, Mailman may be a good solution for you, but if you do, you
are probably better off starting with something that can handle these
requirements.