[Mailman-Users] huge delays in email posts?

Drew Tenenholz drew.tenenholz at isid.org
Wed Jan 11 22:26:39 CET 2006

Mike --

Receiving mail to the server and the server sending the mail are
independent actions.  So it it certainly possible for inbound
messages to arrive just fine while outbound traffic is very slow.

Each of your outbound messages has to have the domain translated into
numbers  (e.g. *@python.org goes to mail.python.org which is
194.109.207.14).  If your server cannot do this translation for
itself (i.e. is a DNS server as well as a Mailman server), then it
has to ask an assigned DNS server for the translation.  If this Plesk
server's settings are not well-formed, then it may take a long time
for each message to get the translation done, resulting in outbound
delays for all messages.  That's what happened to us.

Our Majordomo server had been doing it's own DNS, then someone turned
it off without really directing it to use a different DNS server.  So
it sort of hunted around for an available DNS server somewhere in the
world for EACH outbound message.  Once the sysadmin tracked down what
was happening and reinstated the server's own DNS resolution,
everything returned to normal speed.

HTH,
Drew Tenenholz