[Mailman-Users] SpamDetect loop?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 11 21:48:49 CET 2006

David Gibbs wrote:

>Since I upgraded to MM 2.1.7 I've noticed something odd in my admin
>queue ... it appears that messages coming through the SpamDetect
>pipeline for the owner-address are getting into a loop.
>
>Basically, if I get a message in my admin queue for 'out of office'
>(simple spam filter), I get dozens if not hundreds of the following also
>in my admin queue ...

<snip>

>It *APPEARS* to me that the spam detect filters are keying on the "out
>of office" message that is included in the original message.
>
>As an experiment, I've removed the SpamDetect entry from the
>OWNER_PIPELINE entry in mm_cfg.py.
>
>Any other suggestions?

There are a few things going on. Did you upgrade from 2.1.6 or from
pre-2.1.6? Starting in 2.1.6, header_filter_rules are applied to the
headers of sub-parts which might cause a problem if the admin
notification contains something that matches, BUT there is a safety
valve in that the SpamDetect process is never supposed to be applied
to internally generated messages such as admin notifications.

So something is going wrong here, but I don't know what. I will
investigate, but if you could send me off list what your
header_filter_rules are and a copy of the original problem message, it
may help me.