[Mailman-Users] mail from GioMBG > /usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 10 17:46:35 CET 2006

root wrote:

>Every 5 minutes I receive to admin list an e mail with the message:
>/bin/sh: mailman: command not found

It looks like you have a crontab in the wrong place. Normal, per user,
crontab entries are:

minute hour day_of_month month day_of_week command

Crontab entries in /etc/cron.d have an additional username field to
specify the user under which to run the command

minute hour day_of_month month day_of_week username command

If you have a crontab with entries like

0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * mailman /usr/bin/python -S
/cygdrive/f/test-mailman/cron/gate_news

and you install this with the crontab command, cron will attempt to
execute the command

mailman /usr/bin/python -S /cygdrive/f/test-mailman/cron/gate_news

instead of executing

/usr/bin/python -S /cygdrive/f/test-mailman/cron/gate_news

as user mailman.

>I think is because I haven't any gate news so:
>I've comment this line in:
>
>/usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in
>
># Every 5 mins, try to gate news to mail. =A0You can comment this one out
># if you don't want to allow gating, or don't have any going on right now,
># or want to exclusively use a callback strategy instead of polling.
># 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * =
>

>I've restart mailman daemon and check that =
>
>/etc/cron.d/mailman =
>
>is succesfull edited after

Do you perhaps have two crontabs running in parallel? One in
/etc/cron.d/mailman and one installed by crontab in (perhaps)
/var/spool/cron/mailman. You definitely want one or the other, but not
both.