[Mailman-Users] User unknown messages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jan 6 18:25:08 CET 2006

Darren G Pifer wrote:

>      One of our list serve admins is trying to send out a bunch of
>email to several list serves. He has defined a group in Lotus Notes,
>which comprises the different list serves, and when he sends mail to
>the group, the mail is not being delivered. The mail logs show that
>mail is coming from the list serve but is not being delivered because
>of 'user unknown' messages. We use LDAP, specifically OpenLDAP on a
>Linux, for our user lookups. The directory is working properly.
>Here are a few of the 'user unknown' messages:

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying there is a group in Lotus
Notes which consists of the addresses of some Mailman lists and mail
to that group is sent to the Mailman lists and resent by Mailman to
the list members and is ultimately not delivered because the outgoing
MTA says 'user unknown'?

What happens when a post is sent directly to one of these lists, not
via the Lotus Notes group?