[Mailman-Users] sorting out bounces

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jan 5 06:35:18 CET 2006

>    Eric> and obviously something is broken with my environment and
>    Eric> has been for years with various distributions.  When the
>    Eric> monthly notices go out, the human associated with the
>    Eric> mailman address gets all of the bounces.

I'm coming in very late on this thread, but I just want to point out
one thing.

Monthly password reminders are sent from the site list because they
contain the passwords for ALL the user's list memberships at that site
(or virtual domain), and thus don't come from a single list.

Thus when a password reminder bounces, the bounce goes to the site
list. I don't know why this is a problem in general, since if the
bounce is recognizable, it is usually for an address that isn't a
member of the list and is just ignored. Meanwhile, if the address is
truly bouncing, posts from the list(s) it is a member of should be
bouncing and processed as normal bounces for the list(s).