[Mailman-Users] Mailman or postfix problem?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 18:40:08 CET 2006

Thomas Waters wrote:

><rxtesttuesday at pharmacy.pitt.edu>: Command died with status 2:
>     "/usr/share/mailman/mail/mailman post rxtesttuesday". Command
>output: Group
>     mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>executed as
>     group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail
>script as
>     group "tcwaters".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
>script as group
>     "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>     `--with-mail-gid=tcwaters'.
>

>I ask if this is mailman or postfix because I was trying to move the
>mail lists to a new server, so I have "handled" the mailman files,
>but never touched the Postfix files.  Is this a file permissions issue?

You probably touched the mailman aliases file leaving it with your
username as the owner. Postfix will execute commands found in an alias
file with the userid of the user who owns the alias file. This is a
configurable option in postfix, its usually on by default because in
most circumstances it is what you want. When you add a new list and
mailman updates the alias file it will write the file with the owner as
mailman.