[Mailman-Users] failure to exec script

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jan 4 00:05:42 CET 2006

Neil Muller wrote:

>We've just started having a problem with posts to our mailman lists. Posts
>are being rejected with an error of "Command died with status 2:
>    "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list-name-here". Command output:
>Failure
>    to exec script. WANTED gid 67, GOT gid 65533."
>
>This started after a system reboot. The system is SUSE SLES9 with latest
>patches installed. I have read the various posts in the mailman-users
>archives and although there are many the talk about the same problem none
>of the solutions suggested seems to resolve the problems we are having.
>
>I have checked the SUSE sysconfig and updated it  to the correct gids for
>cgi and mail. I have also checked /etc/mailman and updated the
>mailman.mail-gid file to the correct mailman gid. /etc/group has mailman
>as gid 67.

The message says the wrapper expects to be invoked as gid 67 and is
being invoked as gid 65533. In SUSE, I think the expected 67 comes
from the mail-gid file. The 65533 is the gid used by your MTA to
invoke the wrapper. If your MTA is Postfix, this comes from the group
owner of the alaises file that contains the mailman aliases.

You can either change the mail-gid file to have gid 65533, or you can
change the MTA to use gid 67 when invoking the wrapper.