[Mailman-Users] Backing up your mailing list

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Jan 3 18:59:01 CET 2006

In a flurry of recycled electrons, Hujjah 313 wrote:

> Is there a feature on mailman whereby we can backup our mailing list on hard
> disk?

Well, they're already on the server's hard disks. If you want to back up the
lists, all you need to do is copy them, they're in the mailman/lists dir.
Given the size of the rest of MM, you might as well copy out the entire
mailman directory tree. (OTOH, all server disks ought to be backed up
already.)

> Its quite necessary to have a hard copy of your list when dealing with
> 10,000+ emails where people constantly want to subscribe and unsubscribe.

That's a lot of members to keep on hard copy, so I'm sure I don't understand
the reasoning. I don't bother keeping lists of 20 on hard copy. If you just
need a list of all members, list_members will produce that. Run it w/o
arguments for help.

z!