[Mailman-Users] Logging Archive Creation in MM2.1.7

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 3 04:39:33 CET 2006

Bryan Carbonnell wrote:

>So, let me just see if I have this right, this error only happens when
>I rebuild the archive?

I think it happens with new posts too.

>Will it happen when new posts are sent to the list, and therefore archived?

I haven't actually checked this out, but what I think will happen is if
the post contains only ascii in the body, it will be archived
normally. If it contains non-ascii in the body, it will be properly
added to the global listname.mbox/listname.mbox file and the HTML
archive, but it won't be added to the monthly .txt file. If you
install the avoidance patch, it will be added to the .txt file without
obscuring addresses in the body (e.g., signatures).

>I don't rebuild archives often, it's just one of the things I do when
>I'm testing out a new version.
>
>I'm not really sure if I want to deploy this version if it doesn't
>obscure the addresses in the archives. I understand that it's just the
>.txt files and not the HTML files, but I'm not sure if I want to
>expose my users to a possible spam harvesting goldmine.

If you install the patch I referred to, it will only be the non-ascii
posts that are not obscured and only addresses in the body such as
signatures. Addresses in the headers will be obscured normally.

>Thanks though Mark. I do appreciate the quick response.

I intend to develop a proper fix within a day or two. As soon as I can
get a grasp on what 2.1.7 change is causing this changed behavior.