[Mailman-Users] Logging Archive Creation in MM2.1.7

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 01:24:14 CET 2006

Does Mailman log anything when you try and rebuild the archive from
the commandline?

The reason I am asking is that I have just installed MM2.1.7 on a test
box and tried to rebuild the archive and I get an error with every
archive I try and rebuild and I would like to try and track down what
is causing the error.

The error I get is:
Pickling archive state into /var/mailman/archives/private/dba-vb/pipermail.pck
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./bin/arch", line 200, in ?
    main()
  File "./bin/arch", line 188, in main
    archiver.processUnixMailbox(fp, start, end)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 585, in
processUnixMailbox
    self.add_article(a)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/pipermail.py", line 626, in add_article
    filename))
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 1116, in write_article
    f.write(article.as_text())
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py", line 579, in as_text
    '\g<1>' + _(' at ') + '\g<2>', body)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/sre.py", line 143, in sub
    return _compile(pattern, 0).sub(repl, string, count)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xa3 in position
2025: ordinal not in range(128)

I have looked through the mbox file and all the ascii characters
greater than 128 are in the body of the e-mails. The 2 characters that
i can find are the British Pound sign and what appears to be a MS
"smart" single quote.

I even brought the mbox over to my Windows box (I only know how to
read a text file in a windows environment) and examined each character
individually and didn't find any invalid characters in the headers.

Can anyone help me try and debug this?

Thanks,

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"