[Mailman-Users] sorting out bounces

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Jan 1 22:20:14 CET 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	Mailman manages the bounces internally, so as to automatically
> handle unsubscriptions due to excessive bounces, nonexistent
> accounts, etc....
>
> 	That's the way it is supposed to work.

correct behavior but totally useless.

if you have three or four people, each managing a group of lists on a
machine, is there no way for them to find out which addresses are
bouncing for their list sets without receiving all of the bounces for
every other lists?  maybe it's the responsibility of one person to sort
out and forward a hundred or more messages to three other people every
month.

  I don't dispute it may be the best you can do but at this point, the
best solution is to throw all of those bounce messages into /dev/null
and ignore the problem of admin directed bounce messages entirely.

and on the subject of bounce messages, more often than not a bounce
message has insufficient information to tell me what user on what list
should be removed.  Again, this is the fault of the bounce return data
but some mechanism for searching the entire subscriber list for all
lists would be helpful when eliminating no longer valid addresses.

and third, when searching user list visually, it would be helpful to
have all the subscribers displayed at once.  It's often easier for this
human to operate on larger data sets than arbitrarily fragmented ones.

---eric