[Mailman-Users] Goodmail spells doom for mailing lists?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Feb 28 23:46:18 CET 2006

At 4:56 PM -0800 2006-02-23, Dave Crocker wrote:

>   From what I can tell, the Goodmail technology does not work
>through a mailing
>  list.  From what I can tell, limited its application to transaction mail will
>  keep this from being a problem.

	I worked at AOL for over two years, as the first Internet Mail
Operations person they ever hired, and left as the Sr. Internet Mail
Systems Administrator for AOL.  I know how their marketing department
works.

	On the one hand, you have an old creaky system that only ever
kinda-semi-sorta-somewhat works on the best days, and costs a
boatload of money, people, and time to maintain.  On the other hand,
you have a system where they get a share of the paid spam that goes
through the system, via Goodmail -- a method that they have said will
completely by-pass all anti-spam checks, and guarantees that the paid
spammer in question will have unhindered access to your mailbox.

	Which one do you honestly think that they are going to choose?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755