[Mailman-Users] add_members

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Tue Feb 28 21:42:33 CET 2006

Bryan Carbonnell sent the message below at 11:29 2/28/2006:
>On 2/28/06, Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com> wrote:
> > Allan Hansen wrote:
> > >Thank you for clarifying, Mark.
> > >
> > >I do not yet have the knowledge to fix it, thus my comment. I do
> > >appreciate the fix, though, because a number of my subscribers do
> > >want to be subscribed inactive from a second address that they use
> > >for posts (and they don't want duplicates). So I'll use your version.
> > ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
> >
> > So why not add them to the list of approved posters?
> >
> > It's under accept_these_nonmembers on the Privacy options, Send filters
> page.
> >
> > That's what I do when somebody wants to be able to post from a
> > non-subscribed address. It's clean and easy.
>
>By doing it that way, it's extra work for the list admin.
>
>When folks on my lists want to post for different accounts I give them
>instructions on how to sub that address and then postpone that
>subscription. it puts the onus on the onus on the user to make sure
>they post from "legitimate" accounts.

OK, I still don't understand the real issue here nor exactly how this would
be setup. It sounds like more time will be expended setting this up than it
would take to actually add a bunch of people to the non-member accept list.

It takes me all of a minute to add somebody to that list and it is rare
that I even get a request to do it. I can only see that becoming a real
time issue on huge lists with lots of people who want to post from an
alternate address. In my case, this is extremely unlikely to happen so I go
with the simpler approach.

Dragon