[Mailman-Users] Question about g-zipped mail archives -attachment folders/files?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Feb 28 18:12:55 CET 2006

Dave Yeats wrote:

>On 2/28/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
>> Also, a .gz (gzipped) file does not contain a hierarchy of folders and
>> files unless it is a gzip of a .tar or other archive. Where are these
>> coming from in your case?
>
>I'm looking at http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evince-list/
>
>> This looks like some mail.gnome.org specific way of dealing with the
>> plain text archive.
>
>Must be.  I thought it was weird, too.  I'll double-check that the
>child folders don't contain anything new, and go from there.

Actually, I've looked at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/evince-list/2006-January.txt.gz, and I
see the issue is with the way you are expanding the gzip file.

If I expand the file with gunzip, I get 2006-January.txt = 98890 bytes.

If I expand with Stuffit Deluxe with the "create surrounding folder"
and "further expansion" options off, I get the same thing, but if I
set those options on, I get a 2006-January.txt folder containing files

2006-January.txt.attachment00 = 1876 bytes
2006-January.txt.attachment01 = 277 bytes
2006-January.txt.attachment02 = 88537 bytes
signature.asc = 188 bytes
signature_1.asc = 188 bytes

What is happening is Stuffit is parsing the email into separate
messages.

The answer is don't use Stuffit, or if you do, turn off the "further
expansion" option.