[Mailman-Users] Multiple mailing lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Feb 27 03:08:44 CET 2006

Nigel Ridley wrote:

>So now I just have to figure out my next move -- I would really like
>about 10 or 12 mailing lists for the different languages -- is that
>possible if I can install Mailman in my 'own space'?

There is no fixed limit to the number of lists a Mailman installation
can support. The practical limitations are the total file space
required, the number of directory entries before searching the
directory becomes an issue and the total amount of email traffic. A
dozen lists would not be an issue at all.

>My web hosting company doesn't see a problem for me to install Mailman:
><quote>
>Mailman is to be installed by a username anyway, as noted in the
>documentation.  There might be a few symlinks we have to set up for you,
>but other than that there's no trick to it.
><end quote>

I think there's a bit more to it than that when it comes to web server
and MTA integration, but why not just set up a dozen lists on the
hosted Mailman. I would think that if the host is willing to allow you
to set up your own Mailman, they would be willing to allow you a dozen
lists on the shared Mailman.