[Mailman-Users] Goodmail spells doom for mailing lists?

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Feb 24 01:56:58 CET 2006

>> Has anyone talked about the changes planned by AOL, Yahoo! etc. to
>> require "certification" via Goodmail or just be blocked?
> It's been beaten to death -- at this point I can't recall if here or on
> other lists.  Essentially it means nothing. AOL backpedaled the next day
> saying it wasn't a press release, they aren't requiring anything, blah blah
> blah.

Having looked over the earlier articles I could find in the archive, and given
how sensitive mailing list operation is to various mail authentication
techniques -- e.g., SPF really does break it -- and given that AOL did not quite
say that they are not requiring anything, I thought it worth reciting the
current policy, as both yahoo and aol are stating quite explicitly:

Their use of Goodmail is for "transaction" messages, like purchase confirmations
and is only an adjunct to both service providers' existing mechanisms.  For
example, AOL with be continuing both of its existing white-list services.

 From what I can tell, the Goodmail technology does not work through a mailing
list.  From what I can tell, limited its application to transaction mail will
keep this from being a problem.

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking