[Mailman-Users] Displaying message sender

Matthew Thompson thompson at bwcoe.com
Wed Feb 22 17:59:50 CET 2006

I haven't had time to sit and poke at the offending mail server to see
if they react to the reply to: or the from: header.  I'll have to mess
with that this weekend when traffic is lower on lour lists.

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 14:35 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Matthew> I have a mailing list with users subscribed from two
>     Matthew> particular domains, call them nice.com and naughty.com.
>     Matthew> The security czars are naughty.com have decided that
>     Matthew> inbound email with naughty.com in the From address cannot
>     Matthew> possibly be legitimate so they silently drop the mail.
>
> "Mr. Foot, meet Mr. Bullet."  Make sure you cash any checks from
> naughty.com immediately; one gets the feeling they're not going to be
> around for very long.

I can't believe they are doing this either but unless someone invents a
machine capable of perpetual motion in the next couple of years, I'll
probably still have a job. ;)

>     Matthew> One way around this is to make the list anonymous but
>     Matthew> that creates the problem that we don't know who sent the
>     Matthew> message unless everyone always remembers to mark the
>     Matthew> messages either in the subject line or at the end of the
>     Matthew> message.
>
> Why not simply change all instances of @naughty.com in the author
> headers to @naughty.invalid or @censored.invalid or something like
> that?  It's easy enough to create a custom Handler to do that kind of
> thing, and should be safe, too.  Since you're going to have to modify
> Mailman in any case, I believe, this is the least intrusive way to do
> it.

This would probably work for us.  I was throwing this out to the list to
see what other approaches existed than the ideas I had.  It didn't occur
to me to just obscure the domain name.  I'd be happy to help out with
either the coding or testing if you need the help.

Thanks for the great suggestions all.

-Matt