[Mailman-Users] Displaying message sender

Matthew Thompson thompson at bwcoe.com
Wed Feb 22 00:27:26 CET 2006

I have a mailing list with users subscribed from two particular domains,
call them nice.com and naughty.com.  The security czars are naughty.com
have decided that inbound email with naughty.com in the From address
cannot possibly be legitimate so they silently drop the mail.

The result of this is when users from nice.com send email to the list,
everyone gets the message just fine.  However, when someone from
naughty.com sends a message, only users at nice.com get the message.

One way around this is to make the list anonymous but that creates the
problem that we don't know who sent the message unless everyone always
remembers to mark the messages either in the subject line or at the end
of the message.

I was looking for a way that we could automatically add the sender's
name or email address to the message to make this more fool-proof.  I
would prefer to add it to the subject line to make sorting in the mail
client meaningful but adding it to the message body would be useful too.

BTW, for our setup we are using Mailman 2.1.7 with Exim 4.54 on Gentoo.

Thanks for your help,
Matthew Thompson