[Mailman-Users] obscure addresses in archive

Dave Stern dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Feb 20 16:47:39 CET 2006

When one of our lists was first set up, users were subscribed but
not sent their password (and monthly passwd is turned off also).
Because of this, they couldn't get into the private archive. So
the listadmin made the list archive public. Now users are complaining
about spammers  harvesting their addresses.

I could zero or edit the existing archive wiping addresses and leaving
the archive public but wonder if there is some way for future submissions
to have their addresses masked. They're looking for complete anonymity,
not just a change to user_at_host_fqdn.

Can this be done?  Otherwise, I'll just send them their passwords
and make the archive private

  David Stern                                    University of Maryland
            Institute for Advanced Computer Studies