[Mailman-Users] no confirmation required?

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Fri Feb 17 13:07:23 CET 2006

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006, kalin mintchev wrote:

> right...  spamming about cancer awareness or wedding dresses.... si...
> i kinda explained that i'm aware of this argument...
>
> the other option is to lose those clients....

The other option is to risk being put on a blacklist for running a
non-compliant mailing list.

Forget spam. A mailing list that does not require a response to a
confirmation before subscribing an address can be abused for a DOS attack.
Suppose I don't like you, and decide to subscribe you to 1,000 mailing
lists.

If they require confirmation, you get 1,000 confirmation messages and it is
over.

If they DON'T require confirmation, you are now on 1,000 lists that you need
to track down and unsubscribe from.

Explained this way I've yet to loose a mailing list customer.