[Mailman-Users] Subscription settings not taking

Beartooth karhunhammas at Lserv.com
Wed Feb 15 23:08:03 CET 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Brad Knowles wrote:

>>   	One effect will be to drive me, and doubtless some rising
>>  number of others, as baby boomers retire and get into other
>>  activities, off your lists. Gmane's great virtue is that it's a lot
>>  simpler to monitor than trying to cope with list archives; one can
>>  check occasionally for anything that looks comprehensible, delete the
>>  rest unread, and gradually acquire enough competence, or at least
>>  enough vocabulary, to ask what one needs. Having done so, one can flag
>>  one's own post, and watch for replies.
>
> 	I've been using USENET news for about twenty years, and
> administering it for nearly ten years.  I've been using Internet
> e-mail and mailing lists for about twenty years, and I've been
> administering Internet e-mail and mailing lists for about fifteen
> years -- including what were, at the time, some of the world's
> largest mailing lists at AOL, using the L-Soft ListServ software.
>
> 	I know the differences and the advantages, and I personally
> don't see much value in gatewaying a mailing list like this to
> USENET. There are other Python-related mailing lists which have been
> gatewayed to USENET for many years, and I'm glad to continue to
> support that.  But I don't personally see much value in it -- hardly
> anyone on the Internet knows what USENET news is, and when you say
> "news" to them, they think Google News, or somesuch.

 	I hope it didn't sound like I was trying to teach you to suck
eggs. In my last job, it turned out often that precisely the Alpha
Plus Technoids were glad to hear an articulate description of what
things looked like to the UNinitiated, whose thoughts they had gotten
far beyond; so I got in the habit of doing that. No offense intended
-- just the opposite.

What do they know of country, who only country know?