[Mailman-Users] Message discarded

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Feb 15 01:17:03 CET 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Jim Popovitch wrote:
>
>>When vette log says
>>
>>  "Message discarded" msgid: blah...
>>
>>What can I do to determine the reason why the message was discarded?
>
>Those are moderator discards. If you want to know why the post was held
>for moderation in the first place, look for the same msgid earlier in
>the log.

This is wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. Actually moderator
discards generally log a lot more.

"Message discarded" with only a message id and no reason occurs
whenever a handler raises Errors.DiscardMessage without providing
additional text. This occurs in several places.

Examples are when nothing is left after content filtering, a post from
a moderated user when action is discard, a post from a non-member in
discard_these_nonmembers, a post from a non-member with generic action
discard, some cases of a text/html post when ARCHIVE_HTML_SANITIZER =
0 and a post matching a header_filter_rule with discard action.