[Mailman-Users] Problems sending to list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Feb 12 19:45:59 CET 2006

Patrick Bogen wrote:

>The various log entries are:
>Post:
>Feb 09 11:25:52 2006 (20476) post to announce from
>root at mail.physics.tamu.edu, size=3D1924,
>message-id=3D<200602091725.k19HPmje010926 at mail.physics.tamu.edu>,
>success
<snip>

Just looking at one ... Successfully posted

>Corresponding in smtp:
>Feb 09 11:25:52 2006 (20476)
><200602091725.k19HPmje010926 at mail.physics.tamu.edu> smtp for 13
>recips, completed in 0.704 seconds

Successfully delivered to the MTA with 13 recips.

>And then a few seconds after each one in vette:
>Feb 09 11:26:05 2006 (20474) Message discarded, msgid:
><200602091725.k19HPmje010926 at mail.physics.tamu.edu>
>Feb 09 11:26:07 2006 (20474) Message discarded, msgid:
><200602091725.k19HPmje010926 at mail.physics.tamu.edu>
>Feb 09 11:26:09 2006 (20474) Message discarded, msgid:
><200602091725.k19HPmje010926 at mail.physics.tamu.edu>

Then for this message (I'm guessing) three bounces returned by the MTA,
misdirected to the list and discarded as post from non-member.

>It'll take me a bit longer to pull the applicable sendmail and
>procmail logs. Nothing looks amiss in procmail, though; it matches on
>^TO_announce at physics.tamu.edu and sends it along to the mailman
>handler as it should.
>
>What I'd really like to see is a snapshot of the actual messages that
>are being send to the smtp server.. I probably know enough python to
>hack that in myself, though. I'll look at that on Tuesday.

As a first try, set Privacy options...->Sender
filters->forward_auto_discards to Yes, but this won't work unless the
announce-owner address is deliverable, because that's where the
forward is initially sent. See do_discard() in
Mailman/Handlers/Moderate.py if you want to hack in a different
address.

You could also set generic_nonmember_action to Hold which should make
the message available in the admindb interface.

Note the above suggestins assume that the discarded messages are auto
discards of bounce notices that are treated as non-member posts which
may not be what's happening.

You can also hack bulk_deliver() in Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py to
log recips and msgtext.