[Mailman-Users] why is plain text option (removes MIME/HTML) only available for digest?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Feb 9 02:49:36 CET 2006

    Tom> Hello - we would like to be able to specify plain vs MIME (on
    Tom> a user-by-user basis) for regular non-digest delivery.
    Tom> 'option plain' only lets you set the user-by-user option when
    Tom> digests are on.

The plain text option for digests simply specifies one of two standard
ways to encapsulate the individual posts, and glue them into a
digest.  It does nothing to the content or format of the contained
posts, which will still contain MIME or HTML depending on the list's
content filter configuration.

The content filtering options that remove MIME and HTML are on the
"content filtering" page in the administrative menus.  These options
are complex and not really user-servicable.  If you want to provide
the option to users, I suppose you could set a policy of stripping all
non-text content from one list, a more lenient policy for another
list, and subscribe both to an umbrella list that passes everything.
Then have the users subscribe to the list with the content format they
prefer, and (if user posting is allowed) post to the umbrella list.
If they want to be able to switch fairly easily, subscribe to both and
set one to no-mail.