[Mailman-Users] Password

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Mon Feb 6 22:38:40 CET 2006

Marlowe McClasky wrote:
> Hello --
>
> Recently our web master took off without leaving any passwords behind
> (what a mess!).  In any case, I am trying to learn mailman, and just
> realized that I have no idea what our list administrator password is.
> I've tried all kinds of things, none works.  How do I find out or
> change it?
>
> Thanks again in advance,
> Marlowe Futrell

Assuming you have shell access to the mailman userid, you want to look at
the mmsitepass program.

# /usr/local/mailman/bin/mmsitepass --help
Set the site password, prompting from the terminal.

The site password can be used in most if not all places that the list
administrator's password can be used, which in turn can be used in most
places
that a list users password can be used.

Usage: /usr/local/mailman/bin/mmsitepass [options] [password]

    -c/--listcreator
        Set the list creator password instead of the site password.  The
list
        creator is authorized to create and remove lists, but does not have
        the total power of the site administrator.

    -h/--help
        Print this help message and exit.

If password is not given on the command line, it will be prompted for.

#

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893